John Murphy establishes J. Murphy & Sons Limited

In 1951, John Murphy established J. Murphy & Sons Limited. Initially working on post-war regeneration projects, the focus soon switched to the specialist reconstruction of the country’s electrical infrastructure, including the growing General Post Office (GPO) telephone cable network.

Right: a typical 1950s utilities project

Ready mixed concrete

An early realisation of the need for ready mixed concrete, which fueled the green light for motorway construction at the end of the decade, led to a long standing involvement supplying the product through premixed concrete. This included sourcing sea-dredged aggregates using the company owned dredger and wharf facility at Charlton.

Left: Construction of a cable tunnel in Birmingham

Back to timeline Enter 1960

Sign up to our newsletter

Our e-newsletter provides insights into our organisation, including new business activities, key updates, projects and expertise. Subscribe today!